13 November 2014

joy in EVERY moment.

It's around 6:05am, my husbands alarm song goes off.  Since this the third time he's pressed the snooze button, he declares that he is sleeping in a bit this morning.

Glory be to God.

The kids are still sleeping (if you count the youngest one who's snoozing after he got brought into our bed 20mins ago "still sleeping").  And the morning air in our house is cool and I'm not ready to leave my covers quite yet.

Then I hear it ... < r u s t l e,  r u s t l e,  m o a n,  y a w n,  s i g h,  r u s t l e,  r u s t l e, pat-pat-pat-pat (tiny footsteps hitting the hardwood)>

Noooooo ... sleep, I must sleep.

Up comes our oldest one into the bed, ready for morning cuddles.

Oh, this isn't too bad, we will all just lay here for another hour an....

< P O K E  in the cheek >

< C R A W L  over the head >

< C R A S H  onto my pillow >

I love cuddling (thought with no sarcasm, of course).

It really was in that moment, of total self expectation and selfish desire, that I wanted to just burrow in and ignore the chaos around me.  Take my want for relaxing on the "sleep in morning" seriously.  Shut out any inclination to start the day and sleep.

But it was also, in that split second, did I realize that I could choose to just embrace the fact that I needed to get up and OUT of bed with these boys.  Leaving Matt to get only a few more winks of shut-eye, we went downstairs.

I was not only able to have coffee ready for Matt when he woke up but breakfast too!  I definitely didn't have any intentions of serving my husband this morning, but God took the opportunity of me choosing JOY to then receive JOY as I was able to help Matt out that little bit.

My idea of JOY can be so skewed.  I thought having those extra minutes of sleep would have been joy in all it's glory.  Yet, with just a shift in perspective, I got to experience a real JOY.  Not one that I fabricated, but one that I was surprised with.  How I love a good surprise!

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for JOY and be glad all of our days.   Psalm 90:14

pic pix: a sight that always brings me joy, Dec.2013, Kananaskis Upper Lake, AB


2 comments:

-Lulu said...

"My idea of JOY can be so skewed. I thought having those extra minutes of sleep would have been joy in all it's glory. Yet, with just a shift in perspective, I got to experience a real JOY. Not one that I fabricated, but one that I was surprised with. How I love a good surprise!"

THIS is exactly how I've felt recently. I've always loved sleep, and sleeping in... perhaps TOOOO much. Since Nia has started sleeping through the night, its been harder and harder to resist sleeping in a bit...

With the extra responsibilities and JOY that has come since Nia has been born, this realization that you worded so perfectly has been such a blessing... really does change the perspective on the "joys" of sleep doesn't it?!

Thanks for sharing xo

Allison Jane said...

beautiful! you have such a wonderful way with words.

i felt like i could perfectly visualize judah climbing into your bed. made me laugh.

thanks for the great reminder to choose JOY.

xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails