04 November 2014

frame of mind.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."  Abraham Lincoln

Perspective is a huge element of literally, every aspect in our lives.  How we view something determines how we feel or associate with it.  How we interpret something carries weight until we are corrected/change our course of thought.  It's crazy to me that we can convince ourselves of things JUST because of our perspective on things.

It was only yesterday that I was having a busy day and was thinking, "Why do I do this to myself?  I thought I was getting better at this...".  I was on my way to a ladies lunch while my mom watched the boys for a couple of hours.  All I could think about was the hassle it all was that I 1. had to find a babysitter 2. had to leave the boys 3. was going to a lunch and not taking time for myself 4. yadda yadda yadda...

Clearly, I wanted to go (as I made all efforts to), but it wasn't until I got there that I enabled myself to experience the benefit.  It was more than just a ladies lunch, it was a time to connect and glean from other women.  A short hour and a half that did me wonders for being not only a wife, mama, friend - but me, Sarah.

The benefit didn't hit me until one lady started sharing.  She was the reason we were all together as she and her husband are visiting Calgary this week.  We were all asked to bring a couple questions about ANYthing we wanted to know.  This "benefit" of getting together wasn't clicking with me until she said something along the lines of,

"Enjoy every moment, every breath..."

I've heard that for so long, and was reciting it before I even knew it's meaning, I'm sure.  But something about that moment, when she shared that about her children, in the midst of the group I was sitting in, seemed to hit home for me.

Why else do we do life?

Life is about experiencing, engaging, receiving, giving, living, loving ... lunches like those, long laborious breakfasts with my boys(!), walks in the park, drives to do errands ... ALL of these things serve greater purpose when I realize the bigger picture and arrest those small moments as pure joy.

Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever [and whenever] I have.  Philippians 4:11

I challenge you to change your perspective today.  Take that which is difficult and look at the bigger picture.  Realize the cause for each and every moment and enjoy it.  For THIS - today, right now - is the life we get to live.

pic pix: some of our 2014 pumpkin collection, Oct.2014, at home

2 comments:

Mariel said...

(Always) so blessed by your writing!! xo

sarah nadine said...

@mariel - thanks for the encouragement my dear girl! i wish i could squeeze your neck a whole lot more often xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails