02 December 2013

tree hunting.



We had our family tradition planned for Saturday ... head out of town to chop down our Christmas tree.  Then, croup happened.  Poor Judah was not doing so hot, so we cancelled our plans and opted to just pick one off a lot.  So come Sunday, we packed up our little tribe and found ourselves at the IKEA tree lot.

As a kid, getting the tree was a big deal for me (and probably my siblings too!).  Some years, we didn't get our tree until the week of Christmas...one year, even the day before!  After we would have the tree (however close to Christmas day it was!), my brothers, sister, and I would get up early in the mornings, turn on the Christmas tree lights, and just sit there with something hot to drink, talk, and "enjoy" the tree.  A special tradition that we don't get to do at this point in our lives, but I hang onto it's memory as one of my favorites.  It's funny to me how those little traditions impacted me as a little.  And how now, as a parent, I want those very same things to mean the same to my kids.  

Now, to go and enjoy our little tree ... and finish decorating it!


pic pix: getting our Christmas tree, IKEA Calgary, 01.Dec.2013 *missing: me and Hunter boy - we were actually there!*

1 comment:

calista said...

Pretty tree! I hope Judah feels better. I have been thinking about holiday traditions lately - it seems like I don't have any because my son is either with me or with his dad for Christmas, so it makes it kind of hard to actually create a tradition. We do the beat we can though :-) And I try to make sure my son has a wonderful Christmas :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails